Monthly Archives: May 2019
Enngonia and Bourke secured their first wins of the 2013 Barwon Darling Cup competition over the weekend which means five clubs from six have tasted competition victory after just two rounds.
The Outlaws defeated Newtown 30-8 at Enngonia Sportsground yesterday, while Bourke was clinical in its 60-nil demolition of Brewarrina at Geoff New Fields, Brewarrina on Saturday.
Meanwhile, last year’s runners-up Walgett stand alone as the only undefeated side in the BDRL after a strong victory against Goodooga at Walgett on Saturday.
While an official score has not been received yet the Dragons were runaway victors and it’s believed the final margin was 64-8.
That result puts Walgett in the outright lead on four competition points with Bourke, Enngonia, Newtown and Goodooga all having one win each. Brewarrina remains the only winless club.
Enngonia sizzled at home to beat the Newtown Wanderers from Walgett in a clash of the Barwon Darling Cup’s newcomers.
At Walgett, Goodooga back-rower and vice-president Kevin Hooper said the Magpies tried hard but Walgett capitalised on Goodooga mistakes to run away with a good win.
Walgett’s resident Facebook sports reporter Richard Walford pointed to Dragons’ speedy backs Louis Murphy and Kevin Murray being damaging out wide on the back of experienced forwards Richard Dennis and Charley Kennedy’s hard work in the middle.
The junior games in Walgett saw the Dragons’ under-14s make it two from two with a 52-6 win against a young Collarenebri while the Bulldogs hit back in the under-17s with a 48-34 win against Walgett.
Dale Jones got the three points off coach Jason Horan for Walgett’s under-14s and bagged a double alongside frequent try-scorer Cohen Fernando while Tony Scott (two points) and Jermaine Sands (one point) also did well for the Dragons.
Collarenebri coach Chris Kirkland was delighted with Zac Flick and Will Simmonds, two youngsters playing their first BDRL game for the Bulldogs while Kyran Walford and Jeffrey Flick also went well in the 14s.
Jeffrey Wright, Lachlan Paters, Shaquille Peters and Peter Adams were Collarenebri’s best in the 17s.
At Brewarrina on Saturday, Bourke had a great day with wins in all grades on the road. Before the big boys ran on, the Warriors won 28-16 in the under 14s. The two sides produced a thriller in the under-17s, Bourke scraping home 28-26
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. read more
MACEDON Ranges ratepayers will fork out 6.9 per cent more on rates if the council’s draft budget is given the green light.
Shooting goals: Annabel, Tanae, Bianca and Livi pictured at the proposed netball complex site in New Gisborne. Picture: Marco De Luca
The increase — the highest in the region — was revealed in the council budget papers released for public comment last week.
Hepburn Council has proposed a 4 per cent rates rise while residents in Mount Alexander will pay 6.5 per cent more.
Last year’s rate rise in the Macedon Ranges was 4.8 per cent.
Sunbury residents will find out their rates next Monday when Hume Council’s draft budget is revealed publicly.
An average ratepayer living in a median valued property in the Macedon Ranges will pay $1691 this year compared with $1582 last year, a difference of $109. Rate revenue accounts for 60 per cent of the council’s total revenue each year.
Mayor Roger Jukes said the proposed budget was balanced.
“Our recurrent operating income is $63 million and our recurrent operating expenditure is $57.36 million. This means we generate an operating surplus of $5.4 million, of which $4.5 million will be invested in capital works and $0.9 million will be spent on new initiatives.
“Although our debt will increase [to $9.8 million], it is still below prudential levels and it will enable us to invest in some important projects that will provide benefits to the community for many years to come.”
Budget highlights include spending $1.55 million to develop land at the east paddock of Hanging Rock, $764,000 to upgrade Gilbert Gordon Oval in Woodend and $800,000 for playground projects in Kyneton and Romsey. Capital works are valued at $6.2 million.
At its meeting on Wednesday, the council decided to advertise its intention to sell four blocks of land to fund its contribution for the $1.02 million netball complex proposed for New Gisborne.
The outdoor complex, on the corner of Hamilton and Barringo roads, was approved in September and will be paid for by the council, Gisborne Netball Association and with a state government grant.
An indoor basketball stadium development at Gisborne Secondary College will also go ahead, with the Education Department giving the nod for the project.
Council chief executive Peter Johnston said it had now reached an agreement with the department on building the stadium, which would be available for community use.
The council will contribute $1.5 million towards the stadium.
Submissions on the budget and supporting papers can be made until noon on Friday, May 31. They will be considered at a public meeting at 4pm at the Kyneton town hall on June 5.
THE Australian Bureau of Statistics says Australia’s population counter ticked over to 23 million at 9.57pm on Tuesday, April 23.
Statistically, our newest citizen was a boy named Jack born to a 31-year-old mother and 33-year-old father living in western Sydney.
But we reckon they got it wrong by 60 seconds, and that Isaac Mansell takes the crown as the country’s milestone baby.
Australia’s future: Baby Isaac and brother Hayden with proud parents Krystal Love and Mark Mansell.
Isaac was born at 9.58pm at Frankston Hospital to Krystal Love, 24, and Mark Mansell, 23.
Mr Mansell is a furniture removalist, Ms Love’s a stay-at-home mum and, along with Isaac and his four-year-old brother Hayden, they now call Frankston home.
The young family moved from Tasmania four months ago in search of better job opportunities and chose Frankston because of its affordability and access to public transport.
In 2011 there were 22,421 people living in the Mornington Peninsula Shire, including 6095 families. These were made up of 38.6 per cent couples with children, 17.9 per cent single parent families and 42.5 per cent couples without children.
In an attempt to ensure that all of its young citizens have a bright future — at least in the short term — the shire held a series of workshops late last year to look at developing a Plan Peninsula.
Feedback from the 15 sessions formed the basis of the shire’s submission to the state government’s Mornington Peninsula Planning Statement, a plan that will set the direction, extent and nature of development on the peninsula for the next 20-30 years. Maintaining the 70:30 rural-urban mix and protecting the coastline are major priorities.
But what does the future hold for baby Isaac? It’s impossible to predict, but we can imagine.
By 2050, 37-year-old Isaac will be living with his partner and child in a high-tech apartment on the outskirts of Frankston. They both work from home, him three days a week and her two. While the cost of living is high, it’s worth it because they get to spend more time with each other.
The days are hotter and the rainfall heavier than before. He drives a smaller, safer and more efficient car, but because parking is at a premium and public transport inadequate, bicycles are the preferred mode of transport.
Clothes, furniture, entertainment and fresh food grown in climate-controlled warehouses are delivered to the door with just one voice command.
Isaac’s seven-year-old son is already multi-lingual thanks to classmates from all over the world who sign in to international schooling each day for lessons on the home’s big screen.
There a fewer open spaces but their facilities are a 2050 child’s fantasy of virtual worlds and thrilling rides. Advances in medicine and technology means they are healthier and expected to live longer than their parents. And like generations before them, time is passing quickly.
But for Isaac’s parents, their hope for their sons is much simpler.
“Like all parents, we just hope our children will be happy and healthy,” Ms Love said.
THE Napthine government’s plan to spend up to $12 billion developing the Port of Hastings would be a “financial disaster” for the freight industry, one of the nation’s leading logistics experts has warned.
Former Toll boss Paul Little, who resigned from the company in late 2011 but remains the largest private shareholder and a consultant, has thrown his weight behind a proposal for another port development on the other side of the bay near Geelong.
Full steam ahead: Denis Napthine (second from right) announces ports funding in Hastings last month. Picture: Gary Sissons
Mr Little, who according to Forbes is the nation’s 37th-richest person with an estimated net worth of $780 million, said the proposal to develop Hastings was deeply flawed.
Mr Little, who spent 25 years as chief executive of Toll Holdings and is expected to return this year as a non-executive director, said the Hastings option would “not deliver the best outcome for Victoria”.
“Trying to relocate port-based logistics services close to Hastings would be a financial disaster for the logistics industry, if [it was] unable to pass on higher operating costs,” he said.
Yesterday’s state budget included $110 million to begin the planning and design work for the massive project, which would not be completed until at least 2030.
The project has also been privately criticised by business figures concerned about the lack of a standard-gauge rail link in the area and the fact that most of Melbourne’s freight and logistics, including that of Toll, is already based in the west. But until now public criticism has been relatively muted.
“The high cost of building a standard-gauge rail link to Hasting and the construction of suitable freeway access would be excessive and difficult, if not impossible, to justify,” Mr Little said.
“It is also reasonable to assume eastern-suburbs road traffic congestion would very quickly become a major problem for all commuters.”
Last year, Fairfax Media revealed a Department of Transport briefing had found the ‘Bay West’ option offered “significant potential advantages”, including ample land, “almost unlimited potential berth capacity” and proximity to Avalon Airport.
But Premier Denis Napthine has dismissed the idea as “nonsense”, arguing it would require a massive amount of preparatory dredging and even then would be unlikely to be able to accommodate the large container ships of the future.
Despite the government all but ruling out the Bay West option, Fairfax Media can reveal it has continued to quietly assess the option.
In response to a freedom-of-information request by the state opposition, the Department of Transport acknowledged it had undertaken a study comparing the cost of the two proposals, and a site-selection study for the area near Werribee.
However, it refused to release the documents, claiming they would generate “unnecessary speculation”.
—Josh Gordon/The Age
What do you think? Post a comment below.
Re: Park hotel welcomed, cautiously
The Australian Army should have kept the land. It’s now going to be another playground for the rich. The Victorian government cannot be trusted to run anything properly (both Liberal and Labor). If given as a public park, it should stay that way or be returned to the previous owner.
Ex-Digger (via web)
Re: RSL ‘sacking’ row hits centre
We should be giving all veterans our full support, not driving them away from the centre. After all, without the patronage of young veterans there will be no young veterans centre and no need to employ anyone. It is an absolute outrage that Pete Erdman has been pushed out. I have been under the mentorship of Peter and I cannot speak highly enough of him.
Damian Sumner (via web)
Re: Black Caviar: It’s farewell to Nelly
Just as the magic of the Vatican is due to the pillaging of Europe, the inspiration this horse undoubtedly brings sits uncomfortably alongside the reality of those who go to the knackery.
The wealth in Australian racing sits just as uncomfortably alongside the children in disadvantaged sole-parent households who are now forced to go hungry in Australia. We have a bipolar economy. Just like a bipolar sufferer, we seem happy to have the depression, just to experience the elation.
The achievements that wealth and power bring are undoubtedly awe-inspiring — yet it is good to have a more circumspect, balanced view on these things. Communism certainly isn’t the answer.
We need diversity and freedom for all. Blind capitalism is more restrictive on the parts of the community that these great triumphs draws from.
The wealthy will need to be more charitable now the poor have no health and disability services and their welfare is being cut, or there will be no poor people alive, in order to make the rich, rich. We all lose by continuing down this path.
Jade Worthington (via web)
Re: Heritage homes may be demolished
It is appalling that there isn’t protection for our heritage. Other countries in the world certainly value their older buildings. England, in particular, manages to preserve millions of structures that are hundreds of years old and we can’t even manage to retain a handful that are only 100-150 years in age.
The Mornington Peninsula is becoming like the Gold Coast — ugly, cheap and looking the same as everywhere else. I’m not against modern buildings, but so many of them lack charm or significance in any way because they are not special developments, just ‘cookie-cutter’.
Think of the towns around the world that people flock to — they generally are not modern. The south of France, the mission towns of California, and Carmel and Monterey, the charming villages of England, and so on. All these places are defined by their historic architecture.
Older houses can be restored with modern additions and other features to bring them into the 21st century — look at Richmond and other inner suburban areas. They manage it there. What is wrong with the vision of people on the Mornington Peninsula?
Pippi (via web)
What do you think? Post a comment below.
The Weekly welcomes letters no longer than 250 words. All letters are subject to editing and must include a name, address and phone number. Post: The Editor, Suite 2, 10 Blamey Place, Mornington 3931, or email [email protected]南京夜网.au. Post a web comment to any story on this website.