Monthly Archives: June 2019

Sale Specialist School gains land funding

FUNDING to buy land and begin planning for the new Sale Specialist School has been secured as part of the 2013-14 Victorian Budget.
Nanjing Night Net

Deputy Premier and Gippsland South MLA Peter Ryan said the funding was the critical first step in delivering a new Sale Specialist School.

“I know how passionate and committed the Sale Specialist School community has been in pushing for a new school on a single site, so I am absolutely delighted to be announcing this funding commitment,” Mr Ryan said.

“The funding will enable land to be identified and purchased, and the planning and design of the school to be in place ready for construction when the remaining funding is secured.

“An expression of interest process will soon be launched to identify a well located, fully serviced site for the new Sale Specialist School.”

The news of the funding was welcomed with excitement by Sale Specialist School principal Shelagh Donegan.

“We at the school very much welcome this announcement; it will enable us to purchase a site and begin planning for a purpose built school,” she said.

“We look forward to securing the land as soon as possible.”

Ms Donegan stressed planning for the new school needed to take into account its increasing enrolment.

“We are excited and thankful for the support we have received from the New School Parents’ Action Group, the community and all the politicians who have lobbied on our behalf,” she said.

” This is the first step in a long process, which we need to keep on track,” she said.

“The hard work will not be over until we walk in the door.”

School council president Alan Rankin was equally excited by the announcement.

“The council is really pleased there is provision of funding to secure the site, but it is only the first step in a long journey,” he said.

Mr Rankin stressed this budget allocation needed to be followed up with funding to build the school in a subsequent budget.

” We appreciate the support of the community and acknowledge the support we have received from Mr Ryan and from Darren Chester, who raised our plight in federal parliament.

Mr Ryan said good financial management by the state government meant a new site could be purchased for the Sale Specialist School, which was at capacity.

“Due to rising enrolments, the Sale Specialist School has had to expand beyond its Raymond St campus to include a senior campus within the grounds of Sale College,” Mr Ryan said.

“Having two campuses is a less than ideal situation, however this announcement will mean the students of Sale Specialist School can look forward to a school which is designed to maximise their educational opportunities.”

Mr Ryan said the state government had been a champion of special education.

“The Coalition has provided record funding for the Program for Students with Disabilities and Students with Disabilities Transport Program, and the single largest capital investment in specialist and autism schools across metropolitan and regional Victoria for over a decade.”

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net. read more »

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Sale Specialist School gains land funding

BFL: Sunbury surge thanks to Jack

Full force: Melton South’s Ben Peters rides a bump from Sunbury’s Matthew Parker Picture: Shawn SmitsJACK Sheahan’s Sunbury Lions debut set a lofty standard as his team crushed Melton South by 80 points on Saturday night.
Nanjing Night Net

The 19-year-old out of Diggers Rest via the Calder Cannons kicked three first-quarter goals and five for the night in an impressive first showing in Ballarat Football League.

Sheahan, VFL listed with Bendigo Gold, held a key forward post in the absence of Simon Clarke to spearhead Sunbury’s 21.15 (141) to 9.7 (61) victory.

*Coaches Rick Horwood and Matt Sutton on the match – see below

*Action gallery to come – follow our social networks for the update -facebook南京夜网/weeklyreviewsport & twitter南京夜网/twrsport

*Around the grounds from round three & interleague squad named- see below

A flowing exchange of first-quarter goals became one-way traffic in the second, with Sunbury’s six goals to one setting up a 41-point half-time lead.

The second half hit no great heights, with Sheahan spending the final quarter on the bench due to hitting his game-time limit.

Melton South was outmuscled in midfield and blanketed by the Sunbury defence.

The match-winning burst came early in the second quarter, with Sunbury extending its lead of 13 points in the ninth minute to 39 in the 19th.

A Sheahan set shot was followed immediately from the re-start by a quick clearance and Jamie Lobb snap, kickstarting the run of five Sunbury unanswered goals in 10 minutes. Scott Lobb’s courage to mark with the flight was an inspiring end to one Melton South attack, while another broke down due to back-chatting the umpire at a stoppage in the Panthers’ forward 50 metres.

Dale Ciunik (three goals) and Sheahan started the second half with back-to-back majors to ensure there would be no Melton South swing of momentum, like its comeback from 47points down against Melton the previous weekend.

Melton South coach Matt Sutton had a tough night as his team’s full forward but still finished with four goals. Jaiden Spicer also booted four.

The Panthers lost Ben Peters to a seemingly serious ankle injury mid-way through the third term.

SUNBURY coach Rick Horwood isn’t just winning without a raft of last year’s premiership team — he’s winning big.

After the rarity of an away win against Redan last week, Sunbury smashed a Melton South team that had been competitive to date in the Ballarat Football League.

With North Ballarat City storming out of the blocks with three monstrous wins, the first head-to-head clash between the premier and new title contender feels a long time away, not until June 22.

For now, Horwood has a number of returning players to reintegrate into a winning team.

‘‘At the moment we’ve got eight premiership players out of the side. It’s going to be a headache when they all come back.

‘‘Jack Landt, 16 years old, second game. Young (Jordan) Baumgartner, only his third game and he did well on Rex Hickman.

‘‘With players out our leaders have all stood up.’’

Jack Sheahan’s bag of five goals was by no means a surprise. His return perfectly timed with Simon Clarke suffering a groin injury.

Sheahan was cut from last year’s Vic Metro squad in the late stages of selection and was on the radar as a potential draftee for one AFL club.

‘‘That’s his first game of the year, having not played any football, and Melton South had to move a premier backman in the league in Leigh Burke onto him.

‘‘He’s come back from ankle and knee operations after the Calder Cannons. We’ll send his stats and his edits back to Bendigo (Gold). He’s got some raw talent.

‘‘Clarke’s got a groin injury and it’s early in the season. If it had have been a final he would have played, but at round four it’s not worth the risk.’’

Melton South coach Matt Sutton said his team had made a good start but could not match the work rate of Sunbury.

‘‘They were first in for the footy and outplayed us all night, probably the best run and spread team in the competition and we got taught a footy lesson in that regard.

‘‘We got outplayed by a better side.’’

Verbal exchanges between the umpires and players is likely to become an agenda item for South this week, with Sutton suggesting one umpire had baited his players.

‘‘I think the players are getting confused. We’re both in confusion with the differences between the Ballarat umpires and Riddell District umpires.

‘‘There was nothing in it. We spoke out on the ground. I’ll nail back-chat from my own players, but I said to one umpire, ‘do us a favour and don’t bait us’.

‘‘The players are heated. They’ll come back at it.’’

DARLEY paid the price for inaccurate kicking by coming up short against Ballarat by 12 points at Alfredton Oval on Saturday.

The Devils’ Ballarat Football League season was squared at two wins and two losses with the 6.16 (52) to 10.6 (66) defeat.

The third quarter told the story of the day, with Ballarat converting four goals from six scoring shots, whilst Darley could only manage two goals from fourteen scoring shots.

Harley Inglis was gallant for the Devils whilst the decision was made to send star player Jake Edwards forward to generate a bit of momentum.

Saturday was not the first time this season Darley had suffered from profligate kicking, missing no less than three shots for what would have been the late go-ahead goal against Sunbury a fortnight earlier.

“Do a lot of these guys even own their own footy?,’’ Darley coach Rod MacPherson said.

‘‘At the end of the day it is their tool of trade and they need to be able to use it to get by.

“You need these guys to practise but it’s a fine line.

“You can’t harp on it too much then it gets in their head if they miss one or two.”

Melton Bloods lost a battle of winless teams to Lake Wendouree at CE Brown Reserve, 13.17 (95) to 6.7 (43).

Melton led two goals to none at quarter time but fell off the pace after half time, kicking three goals to Lake Wendouree’s nine.

Tate McCutcheon was the Bloods’ best and also the team’s only multiple goal-kicker.

Bacchus Marsh sunk to one win and three defeats after East Point blew open the game in the third quarter.

The Cobras trailed by 16 at half time after a low scoring opening half but the Kangaroos jumped away with six goals to one, setting up the 16.16 (112) to 7.13 (55) result.

Alec Del Papa was Bacchus Marsh’s only multiple goal-kicker while Matt Denham was best in the defeat.

‘‘I just think we have too many blokes who, when they are not playing well, play really badly,’’ Marsh coach Doug Hawkins said.

‘‘It shows we’ve got a long way to go. We’re going to go back to training and work on our kicking skills, especially when we are under pressure.’’

BFL INTERLEAGUE SQUAD

Bacchus Marsh: Tyson Shea, Declan Phyland

Darley: Darren Leonard, Shane Page, Rhys Ellis, Brad Inglis, Dane Grenfell, Jarrod Edwards

Melton: Matthew Notman

Melton South: Leigh Burke, Rex Hickman, Doug Thomas

Sunbury: Jamie Lobb, Matthew Medcraft, Simon Clarke, Brett Chambers, Xavier Linton, Michael

Coleman, Pat Cariss, Jay Cheep, Andrew Duhau

East Point: Dan Jordan, Hayden Walters, Jason Delaney, Paul Koderenko

Sebastopol: Michael Powell

Redan: Dean Chester, Grant Bell, Jarrod Edwards, Ryan Waight, Brendan Pearce, Tom Lamb

North Ballarat City: Derick Micallef, Shaun Lyle, Michael Williams, Ryan Luke, Ryan Hobbs, Brendan

Howard, Ayden George, Jason McNamara, Jake Hicks, Tristan Cartledge, Daniel Jones

Lake wendouree: Tim Malone

Ballarat: Braeden Deary, Mitch Rodd, Chris Prockter

– with Ballarat Courier

read more »

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on BFL: Sunbury surge thanks to Jack

VCAT: Shire, dog owner make another pitstop

AFTER more than a year without his best mate, Arthur Kalamaras will front a second Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal hearing in a final attempt to be reunited with his beloved dog.
Nanjing Night Net

Mr Kalamaras has been embroiled in a 14-month legal stoush with Cardinia Shire after his dog, Rocket, was seized in March last year as an alleged American pit bull.

Mr Kalamaras said it was up to the council to allow him to see Rocket, after the dog’s location was revealed at directions hearing late last month.

“I would love to see Rocket. It’s been more than a year since I have seen him.”

Mr Kalamaras said he would rely on expert assessments of Rocket by a vet and breed judges to form his defence, for the May 30 hearing at the VCAT — “we are hoping a breed judge will find that Rocket does not fit the restricted breed standard”.

Rocket will be judged on a range of physical features including body shape, legs and tail to determine if he fits the characteristics of a restricted breed.

But Mr Kalamaras said DNA tests — which show Rocket is a Staffordshire terrier cross miniature bull terrier — were not admissible at the tribunal.

Canine geneticist at Australian Specialised Animal Pathology, George Sofronidis, said DNA testing should be used to determine if a dog was a restricted breed.

“Genetic testing is a lot more accurate than someone looking at the physical features of a dog,” he said. “When it comes to restricted breeds [in Victoria] they fall into the bull terrier breeds. The tests can distinguish [which type of bull terrier a dog is].”

Mr Sofronidis said it was difficult to develop a DNA signature for pit bulls given their restricted nature. Genetic testing was 98 per cent accurate for purebred dogs and tapered off as breeds were crossed.

Mr Kalamaras said Rocket was a “calm and friendly” dog but Cardinia Council argued that he was a potentially dangerous American pit bull.

Rocket escaped Mr Kalamaras’ Cardinia backyard last year and council officers impounded the dog under Victoria’s Domestic Animals Act.

Mr Kalamaras appealed to the VCAT and when the tribunal ruled against him in July last year, sought to take the matter to the Supreme Court.

But Cardinia Council said a Supreme Court hearing scheduled for April this year was “unnecessary” as both parties had agreed to return to the VCAT.

read more »

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on VCAT: Shire, dog owner make another pitstop

Vic Uni to resume tertiary courses in Sunbury                       

THREE years after closing its Sunbury campus, Victoria University will resume running tertiary education courses in the town.
Nanjing Night Net

As part of the Hume Multiversity project, the university will run classes from the Sunbury Neighbourhood House and Community Centre from semester one next year.

Hume Multiversity is a joint project of Hume Council, Kangan Institute and Deakin and Victoria universities.

It offers access to tertiary education courses across the municipality.

Classes started in Broadmeadows this year.

Council organisation and community learning director Kylie Ezzy said the courses might include bachelor degrees in the arts, business or the sciences.

“The expansion of the Hume Multiversity program reflects the council’s commitment to providing state-of-the-art facilities and services to Hume residents.”

She said the university had already invested in videoconferencing equipment at the Sunbury Neighbourhood House.

Victoria University educational innovation senior adviser Amanda Achterberg said the classes at Sunbury were part of a new approach by the university.

“Victoria University is deeply committed to demonstrating its mission to Melbourne’s west by providing tertiary education opportunities for the Sunbury community.

“The university will be establishing a new collaborative learning space in the local community to engage students in both formal and informal learning experiences.

“These spaces will be technology-rich and have high-definition videoconferencing facilities that can link to both the broader university and to industry.

“While the final details of specific courses are yet to be resolved Victoria University is developing ‘flipped classroom’ programs for Sunbury in 2014 that are responsive to the needs of Sunbury residents and contribute to the ongoing development of the local community.”

read more »

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Vic Uni to resume tertiary courses in Sunbury                       

Arthurs Seat quarry landfill plan closer

PENINSULA Waste Management is expected to submit plans this week to turn the former Pioneer Quarries site at Arthurs Seat into a landfill.
Nanjing Night Net

The organisation has spent the past few months drawing up plans and consulting community members.

Peninsula Waste Management development manager David Maltby said everything had been signed off and it was simply a matter of lodging the forms with Mornington Peninsula Shire and the Environment Protection Authority.

Plans afoot: The proposed Arthurs Seat quarry site. Picture: Daryl Gordon

“I am confident the documentation is accurate and meets all the necessary requirements.”

He said the project could take months to go through the necessary protocols.

“We expect the project to go to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal, so it could be up to a year before anything happens. Over the coming months we will be responding to issues people have raised and meeting with members of the community to discuss their concerns.”

The former quarry has already been recognised as a preferred landfill location under the council’s regional waste management plan.

Just off Boundary Road, the site is four kilometres from the main precinct of Arthurs Seat.

Mr Maltby was quick to clarify that it was the old quarry site that was being put forward as a proposed landfill site and not the current Hillview Quarry site, which is just west of the site in Dromana.

The development has been met with some community resistance

More than 100 people attended a public meeting about the tip proposal in March and banners have been displayed at various locations on the peninsula opposing the tip.

There was also an advertisement placed in local newspapers last week by Andrew and Joy Duncan of Dromana and headed ‘No tip for the Arthurs Seat escarpment, Dromana’. It described the proposed tip as a “toxic timebomb” that future generations would have to clean up.

The advertisement also raised queries over the site’s proximity to Sheepwash Creek and the possibility of leachate leaking into Port Phillip Bay.

Mr Maltby said opposition to the application was to be expected.

“Like most things, you can’t expect to keep everybody happy but we are confident the proposal won’t impact negatively on anybody,” he said. “If we couldn’t demonstrate that it could be run safety and properly, we wouldn’t be submitting the application.”

What do you think? Post a comment below.

read more »

Posted in 南京夜网 | Comments Off on Arthurs Seat quarry landfill plan closer